Thursday, October 11, 2007

A Classic Illustration

I was browsing my hard drive looking for a particular photo when I came upon this saved Op/Ed cartoon from 2002.

That was the year "Bullet" Bob Hayes, once hearalded as "The World's Fastest Human," passed away at age 59.

I won't go into all of Hayes' football records for the Dallas Cowboys, but remember that Hayes as a track star was both quick and fast.

His 9.1 in the 100-yard dash in 1963 was a world record that stood for 11 years. He also was the first man to run the 60 in less than six seconds, posting a 5.9 in an indoor run.

He won two Gold Medals in the 1964 Olympics, the 100-meter and the anchor on the 4x100 relay.

This is one of my favorite Cowboys illustrations, inked by none other than Dallas native Bill Deore, whose work we enjoyed for three decades in the Dallas Morning News.

No comments: